Sunday, January 17, 2010

Setting a Record I Hope to Never Break!

Once the holidays are over, many people begin the process of cleaning, organizing, and decluttering their homes. I am no exception. Besides working on some new ideas and finishing up my daughter's new room (more on these later), I have been cleaning out unused objects and trying to come up with ways to better maximize the space in all the rooms in my home. I will have to work a little harder on the cleaning part though.Although I am happy with the way my son's room looks - simple but perfectly functional for a boy his age - I knew I could do better in helping him display some of his ever growing collection of art and awards. Anyone who receives the Pottery Barn catalogues is probably familiar with their Stanton Collection square magnetic chalk boards and cork boards. I find them to be a great way to dress up a wall in a kid's bedroom. I also like them because they give kids a chance to express their creativity by deciding what types of things they want to display.My son had six of these hung above his long dresser (also from Pottery Barn). After looking at the size of the wall, I decided I could increase his display space simply by adding two more cork boards and mounting a small shelf below. It was a fairly easy process - take down the existing boards, rehang all eight boards higher and hang a shelf below. Here is a real life picture of how it turned out.

I was tempted to style his room but thought it better to just show the room the way it really looks. The blog world is filled with beautifully perfect pictures and I find it refreshing every once in a while to see homes the way people actually live in them - half made Legos on the dresser and floor, pictures hung crooked, baseballs with no cases yet, etc.

So what is the record? I am now the proud owner of a wall with 30 (yes, 30!) holes. The original six boards had twelve holes, the new ones sixteen and the shelf two. Total of 30. I am hoping he will never out grow these boards as I will have many holes to patch.
Note: I have been absent the past few weeks due to computer problems. I am trying my best to catch up on everything I missed. Thanks for your patience.

7 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

My hubby would have a heart attack over that many holes in a wall! I always have to hang stuff when he's not home. This looks great! Good idea, too to build off of what was already there. The room is fine ~ he's a boy, it's a boy's room, there should be Legos lying around!

Maria Killam said...

Love the corkboards, your sons room looks great!

Anonymous said...

Great idea to add the additional corkboards and the shelf. Had to laugh about the amount of holes. That would definitely put my husband (okay and maybe me a little bit too) over the edge. :-) Thankfully holes can always be patched...

Anonymous said...

I love that you think about your boys's room - even though the boys probably don't (as much). Trust me, it makes a difference - and they will remember that you were a thoughtful mom for it (I say this from experience!)

Brabourne Farm said...

I can still vividly remember the first hole that we drilled in our new house - I was so nervous that my beautiful pristine walls were going to be ruined all for the sake of a painting. Luckily this fear has passed but I have to say I don't know how I'd go with 30 holes in one room! Your son's room looks fabulous. Leigh

Sarah said...

Aw! What a nice mom you are!!! Love that you didn't "style" before the pic. What boy keeps their room spankin' clean anyways? Hope your computer bugs get fixed, that's the worst.

Fifi Flowers said...

Bulletin board a much better place to hang things!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin