Thursday, July 29, 2010

Landscaping Solution Reveal

Wow! I received so many wonderful ideas and suggestions for my little landscaping project. I really appreciate everyone who took the time to voice their opinion. I have to say I have learned a lot from this process. Thank you!

Case in point, Kelly at MuchTo Do With Nothing, Miranda at Blooming in Alaska, Katie at Yoga Gal, Jackie at Empty Nest Full Life, and Kathy at Creative Home Expressions all suggested using a pencil stick holly – a plant I had never heard of before.
I instantly loved the look and shape of this plant as well as its specifications – a mature width of 2 feet, adaptable to most soil conditions, can be trimmed to desired height and good drought tolerance. Sounded great!

Upon further research I also found it is hardy in Zones 5 – 9. I, however, discovered I live in Zone 4. (You can tell I need to learn more about gardening as I did not know what Zone I lived in until I looked it up for this project.)

There were also many other terrific plant suggestions including burford hollies – love the idea of the red berries playing off the red door - from Debbie at Confessions of a Plate Addict . . .
. . . ligustrom topiary- a very versatile plant that can be grown into many shapes - from Karen . . .
. . . and hydragneas – one of my all time favorites - from Joan at For the Love of a House.
Lisa at Fern Creek Cottage, Andrea at Willow Wisp Cottage, Melissa at Melissa's Heart and Home and Amy at Simply a Farmer’s Wife thought the best option was two large urns.

There were also several people who suggested planting something “softer” and less structured since the rest of my landscaping is very symmetrical. So many terrific ideas!

So what did I choose? (in case you missed it, click HERE to see the before)
The winner was two large urns.
I think the urns give me the most flexibility as well as the best fit for the architecture of the house. I will be able to fill them with flowers, a topiary or seasonal décor.
They are also simple in design, take up less room than a plant (and will never get bigger!), and will allow me to add some color with annuals to the front entrance.
I am very pleased with how this little change looks – classic and less cluttered. I seem to be simplifying and going more “white” on the inside of my house so it just goes to follow that I would do the same for the outside.

13 comments:

The Polka Dot Closet said...

What great choice! I have a couple huge urns, I could only find them in white so had paint them black, they sure get heavy when they are full!

Carol

Andrea said...

Beautiful choice! I have such fun decorating my large urn with the seasons. Have fun with yours!!

Living It At Home said...

I am a big fan of urns at the door. They look perfect! You can do so much with them every season. I usually do that to mine. Enjoy!

Miranda @ Pressing On said...

I LOVE it. The urns look fantastic and I love the woody touch with the wreath. Beautiful!

Katie @ Team Skelley said...

Lovely choice!

I have two urns that sit at my front door and I enjoy changing them out with the seasons. You never get tired of them! Yours are beautiful!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Ah yes, I remember years ago finding out about Zones ~ I also found out how important that information is! Nice choice for your house and how good of you, Stacy, to not only mention everyone but take the time to link to them. It will be fun to see how you can dress it up when the holidays are near!

Allison said...

I think those were the perfect choice! Looks very nice and it will be fun to switch out flowers for the seasons and you can do some fun holiday decorating with them as well. They fit right in with the nice simple lines of your home. Beautiful!

The Tattered Cottage said...

Perfect choice. They look stunning!
Toni ♥

Karen said...

I love what you selected. They look great and I love the idea of being able to add some annual color.

Karen of Garden, Home and Party.

Paula@SweetPea said...

You made a quick decision! I love your urns and think that you are going to enjoy changing out what you've planted with the season.

I saw Pencil Hollies at the nursery yesterday and thought of you!

Meri said...

Nice! Not that you need a warning, however my sister has the identical urns and seems to kill whatever she has in them...they get SO hot baking in the sun! (But this is also the sister who kills many houseplants that are sitting RIGHT NEXT TO A SINK...usually by not watering them!!)
I'm sure yours will be beautiful for a long time!

Holly Lefevre said...

Undoubtedly a great choice. I have never heard of these pencil holly's either...and I have no idea what zone I am in either. The urns are a fabulous touch.

for the love of a house said...

looks perfect!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin