Monday, January 31, 2011

I Goofed Twice!

Last fall we began the redecorating process of our red living room. We lightened things up by painting the walls SW Aria Ivory, removing dated curtains and reducing the number of accessories.

After:

Before:

New pillows were made for the chairs and I found a funny little French marble top table to replace the too big skirted round table.


Things seemed to be progressing nicely.

Later, some bargain curtain hardware was unified with paint/glaze and after input from RDH followers the winner of the gray silk versus white linen curtain debate was selected – although I never announced my choice.


I sewed and hung my new curtains and after only a few days it hit me. Something was just not right. The curtain hardware finish seemed out of place and the windows looked empty with just one panel. Why I made only one panel per window, I do not know.


Needless to say, I goofed twice in the same room!

The curtain hardware issue was easily fixed in a few hours with some white paint to match the woodwork.

Amending the curtain situation, however, was a different story. My first thought was to make four more panels. I liked the gray silk and it was not the color which bothered me. See how empty this looks!


The problem with this idea was the fabric was purchased several months ago and dye lots vary from bolt to bolt. The chance of getting more fabric to match the existing curtains was pretty slim. I ordered a fabric sample from the bolt from which my new fabric would be cut anyway and kept my fingers crossed.

The sample arrived and much to my surprise and delight it matched perfectly. However, while I was waiting I had another thought. I decided to play “musical curtains” and move the gray silk panels to another room in my house. It was love at first sight!

Now I had a decision to make. Keep the curtains in their new room or make four more panels. Which did I choose? Stay tuned for the answer!


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the curtains. I hope it works out!

Paula@SweetPea said...

Your panels really are pretty. I'm looking forward to finding out what you decided to do!

Tanya from Dans le Lakehouse said...

I love silk curtains! The colour you picked looks great! I love the simpler, cleaner decor now. I have mushroom coloured silk panels in my office, which my grandma & I sewed. Home made curtains can be so tricky. I think my livingroom/diningroom sheers are a bit skimpy but there just wasn't anymore of the fabric. I bought the whole bolt and couldn't track down more. I too am currently working on a solution . . .

white flower farmhouse said...

Both rooms look amazing with the curtains. LOVE them! Lori

Gina said...

Can you make two more new ones for the new room? <3

Red Door Home said...

Hi Gina - Yes, I can make more curtains but I am not sure I should. I tried them in another room which has only 2 windows. Since I have 4 panels they work great. Problem is I now like them in both rooms :)

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

They are beautiful! Not sure what I would do, but I think if I loved them even more in the other room, I'd just start over in this room.

Abby M. Interiors said...

What a great transformation. Isn't it amazing what a difference your window treatments can make? Looking forward to seeing what you decide.
{I LOVE your red pillows!}
abby

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

The room is looking gorgeous. It's funny -- in New England there is so much red paint and your "old" living room looks very current! The new look is so light and lovely, and I totally dig the chandelier. The drapes, well, gray silk is just stunning and I'm sure that's created quite the dilemma. Leave them in the new room and call it a great day there, then have fun picking something new for the living room. Perhaps a more textured gray silk to keep it the same and yet different at the same time? There is nothing like silk, I love it, and yours look great!

lisaroy said...

wow you're room is looking fantastic!! what a difference! the red room now seems so dated when you look back at it and your new room is so fresh. Love the new pillows and agree about the single silk panels - it looks a little off-balance. The silk is lovely though. Can't wait to see what you decide xo

Erin said...

I love the changes that you have made. Amazing how transforming paint can be. Those drapes are beautiful too:)

Kristi said...

I can't wait to see what you do! And the room looks gorgeous either way! And don't feel bad, I have done this too! :)
Kristi

Mary @ RoomPolish said...

I love that shade of gray! Can't wait to see what you decided to do!!!....

{darlene} said...

oooh. they are gorgeous!!! whichever room you pick, I would double them up on the window... they are too luxurious to not hug the window.

-{darlene}

Holly Lefevre said...

Those curtains are so pretty. I agree, you need more panels, but man oh man that is a tough one. The room overall looks really beautiful - picture perfect!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin