Thursday, October 28, 2010

Decisions, Decisions

I finally had some time to search for drapery fabric for my living room redo. While there were an overwhelming number of choices, I ended up with two of my favorites - silk and linen. I am having a hard time deciding between the two as both options would work wonderfully. Hopefully you can help!

Before I show you the drapery fabric choices, however, I wanted to share another development in this room which may sway your opinion. During my search, I fell in love with this fabric:


I have already made two large pillows – one for each of the chairs. I loved the graphic nature and playful quality of the large print. The color picks up the red in the Rosmaling plate and helps coordinate this space with other rooms in my house.


Now back to the curtain fabric options.

Choice number one is a blue/gray silk - the top fabric sample shown below - from Calico Corners.


Silk fits with the feel of the room and the color plays beautifully off the foyer rug just outside the door. My hesitations with this option are twofold. First, I don’t want to make the room too formal. Second, gray is such a popular color at the moment, I don’t want the room to feel dated in a few years.

Choice number two, also from Calico Corners, is off-white slubby linen banded with navy blue slubby linen.


This option is safe and classic. I don’t think I would ever grow tired of white and navy curtains. My hesitation here is with the red and white pillows the room may feel too nautical – red, white and blue.

This is going to be a hard decision as I truly love them both.

What would you do?

23 comments:

Samantha said...

The silk, although I like both!

Judy said...

Personally I like the last choice, which is the linen. I don't think you can go wrong with such a classic color combination.

Judy

Karen M. said...

I like the silk. Good luck!

ChrisA. said...

I like them both but my favorite is the white and blue (red, white and blue are my favorite colors LOL)!

I'm sure it will look great with whatever you choose.

K&B by the Sea said...

I just discovered your blog through your silhouette dog art project posted at Colour Me Happy. Great project, and your daughter's room is so pretty :-)

I can see why you're torn between the two drapery options, they're both beautiful. I love grey and I love silk, so I might be just a bit biased - but I think it would look great in your room, so that's my vote :-)

Kelly

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I think that first I would look for some pictures of rooms that have some red and white and blue in them. I've seen some where, if you are not using equal amounts of the three colors, it doesn't come off as nautical or 4th of July every single day. The pillows don't say formal to me, but they also don't say silk to me. I'm kind of leaning toward your nubby fabric. Of course, people mix formal and informal all the time now, so you could do the silk and keep the pillows in the same room.

michelle said...

I like the silk. Gray is still pretty neutral and even though it is the in color right now I think it has lasting power. :)

Beth O'Donovan said...

I would go with the silk. Although gray is popular right now, its also very classic. I think the white and blue linen curtains would sway the room towards a nautical feel and wouldn't necessarily play well with the other accessories I can see in the room.

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

My thought would be the slubby linen. But maybe leave off the navy band. I'm loving the new red fabric on the pillows!

white flower farmhouse said...

I love you new pillows, I am excited to see what you do with the space. You have such great taste I am sure it will be amazing. I am partial to linen since that is what I have in my own home. The navy & white combo is classic. Take care, Lori

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Love your pillow! Your blog is lovely too.

xo,
cristin

Adrienne said...

I love silk and it would be beautiful but formal. I like the white linen with the navy band. If you don't have too much red or add nautical-style accents I think you will be fine with the colors.
~Adrienne~

Teri said...

Absolutely the grey silk.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

I love the pillow fabric you chose. The fabric doesn't appear formal to me and the silk is very formal. I would go with the white for the windows and leave off the blue band.
xoxo, Sherry

Becca Ross said...

My vote is for trendy gray.

Becca

becca-homeiswheremystorybegins.blogspot.com

AmyD said...

I vote white linen with the red fabric as the band!!!!

Unknown said...

Great fabric!

The Blonde Duck said...

I hope you have a wonderful Halloween!

KimMalk said...

You're right silk and linen are both wonderful. If you opt for the linen, I don't think it will look too nautical. Having said that, I adore silk, the light plays off of it beautifully, it can look moody or bright. Gray is trendy, but also classic, I don't think it would look dated.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I would go with the linen. You already have navy on the cushions so I like the idea of bringing it to the window. Wasn't sure if you were banding the bottom or the facing edge. I love the red fabric and I don't think the combo will look nautical. It's not a ton of the red. So mostly it will be navy and cream.

Karen said...

I think the white would go better with your pillows. Maybe you could minimize the navy to a smaller roll in the curtain.

Good luck, I know you will do something wonderful.

Karen at Garden,Home and Party

Elisabeth said...

I'd do the linen.

Sandy said...

Oooh, I know I'm a few years late on this post but where did you find that pillow fabric?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin