Thursday, April 5, 2012

Photo Shoot Sneak Peek

Last week was a whirlwind, but in a good way!  The photo shoot took three full days of set-up, picture taking and clean-up.  It was so much fun but lots of hard work too.  Although I can’t show any pictures of the actual shots (they are beautiful!) which will be used in the magazines, I can show you a very small glimpse of what went on behind the scenes.

 Photographer John Bessler and Regional Editor and Producer for 
Meredith Publications, Donna Talley looking at the details of a picture

Every time I have the privilege of participating in a photo shoot I learn something new, and this time was not an exception.  Photographer John Bessler had been to my house a few years ago to photograph the basement for Better Homes and Gardens.  I was beyond excited when I learned he was coming back for this shoot.  He is such a professional, an amazing photographer and most important, a super nice person.  John was even kind enough to give me a few pointers on how to use some of the features of my camera while I was taking pictures of him and Donna at work!  (You will have to let me know if I was a good student or not based on the photos in future blog posts.)


A favorite part of the photo shoot for me is all the fresh flowers.  I have always said if I could afford one luxury it would be to have fresh flowers in my house all the time.  As you can see from the above picture, they pretty much took over my entire kitchen.

Donna on set-up day preparing a label

One of the observations I have made during my time watching photo shoots is that it is all the little details which really bring a photo to life.  Just like in decorating your home, the small touches you add make such a big difference.  Take for example, the label Donna is making in the above picture.  Everything for each picture has to be prepared and planned well in advance.  Donna has such a creative gift for making sure every tiny aspect of a photo is thought out – a talent I truly admire.

Unfortunately, I do not have a definite date as to when the stories will appear in print.  Sometimes they appear quickly and other times it takes months.  I will be sure to let you know if I get a heads up as to when they will be published.  As I mentioned earlier, the pictures are incredible.  I can’t wait for you to see them!



11 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I'm sure it is an amazing process, Stacy! I guess besides cleaning to prepare for the shoot, you just stand back and watch. It must be interesting to see how they move your stuff around, too.

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

How fun to have the pros back to shoot your house!! I love the pic of your kitchen filled to the brim with flowers.

Londen

Holly Gruszka said...

The behind the scenes information is so interesting to me and so neat to be able to learn so much from both John and Donna - they certainly look like a dynamic duo in that first photo. Thanks so much for sharing.

Woodside Park said...

Dear Stacy - I just discovered your blog via Pinterest, and have added it to my blogroll. Congratulations on the photo shoot!! I am looking forward to seeing the photos and publication. It always seems to take forever, but the wait is so worth it. Cheers, Loi Thai - Tone on Tone

Crazy Wonderful said...

How fun! Can't wait to see the photos!

Paula@SweetPea said...

I'm sure that it was such fun to watch this process but exhausting, too. Be sure to let us know when we can see the photos.

An Urban Cottage said...

Isn't amazing what a few well placed accessories, a creative eye and a good camera can do? Congrats on getting that process done. I know it's A LOT of work getting ready for it.

Anonymous said...

That looks like SO much fun!! I'm jealous :)
Stacy

for the love of a house said...

Stacy- Congratulations!! I can't wait to see the story and photos in print!

xojoan

Unknown said...

Love all those fresh flowers. Can't wait to see your photos! Congrats!

Karena said...

Stacy Congratulations!! I have always wished for someone to come in and style my home. Another set of eyes can make a huge difference.

I hope you will enter my precious Giveaway from the Cross Bottle Guy!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Blog Widget by LinkWithin