Thursday, April 26, 2012

About that Big Basket



Thank you all for your nice comments about my living room.  It seems many of you like the idea of no rug – at least during the summer months.  I must say it is a lot easier to keep clean!  I am not sure how the feet will feel come winter but that is a while away.


I had several people inquire about the large basket.  It is a vintage French covered transport trunk.


I purchased it from Bonny Neiman Antiques and I am absolutely thrilled!  Bonny was so nice to work with and I highly recommend her shop.  I also bought the pretty mirror which hangs above the bed in the master bedroom from Bonny.

To be honest when I bought the basket I really did not pay attention to the size and had no idea where I was going to put it.

At first it found a home in the family room.  Although it looked fabulous, the trouble was, now I was left with no place for the wagon.  Then I came across this picture.

Via Southern Living

A perfect solution!


I immediately hauled the basket upstairs and in the bedroom it went – making a perfect bedside table.

I love the extra layer of texture it adds to the room and how it is a bit unexpected.


I have to admit I was fortunate that things worked out so well.  

Have you ever purchased something without knowing  where you were going to place it? I would love to hear what you bought and where it ended up!  


16 comments:

Adrienne said...

Yes, I have purchased more than one thing without knowing where I was going to put it. My most recent is a wonderful yellow (my color) corner shelf that's like nothing I've ever seen before. It's not up yet but it will soon hang in the corner of my office-sewing studio where it will be a wonderful addition to the decor. Love your basket beside the bed. I think I need to look for one for my bedroom! You always inspire me!
~Adrienne~

Low Tide High Style said...

Thanks for the info about the basket Stacy, I knew it had to be an antique! I have been looking for one for forever but I need a really big one to hold my bed linens each night. I once purchased a table made from an old house shutter and I had no clue where it was going to go or if it would even fit anywhere in my house. I still have that table and I still love it! Sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind and buy what you love and the rest will fall into place!

Kat

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Some of the things that I've purchased just because I loved it still haven't found a place! LOL!

I love your big basket turned bedside table.
I also have bare floors in my living room and I love it.

hugs
Sissie

Holly Gruszka said...

I've gotten a few little trinkets recently that I just liked and knew I would want to display someday. I also picked up a piece of milk glass and have used that for candy in different seasons.

Karena said...

Stacy both the basket and the mirror are wonderful! When you love something you can usually make it work!

....I wanted you to know...I am featuring Anita Rivera, Friend, Designer and Paper Artist with Castles Crowns & Cottages, & her Giveaway on my site!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Sonya@Beyond the Screen Door said...

Hi, Stacy. LOVE that trunk! Yes, some of my most favorite things were spur of the moment finds that I wasn't sure where I was going to use it. I just knew I love it! I tend to do this a lot with fabric.

Unknown said...

Oh yes, don't we all buy things without exactly knowing what to do with them? Looks like that great basket found a home.

SHERRY HART said...

Yes...I have been guilty of buying things just because they were cool! I also have a large basket just like yours. It has been all over my house and I happen to find this large old metal tray that fits right on top. It is my fav!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Stacy LOVE that basket! Even though it looked great in your living room I love the way your using it your bedroom! Yes, I've bought plenty without knowing where I would put it!!

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

There have been a number of "what was I thinking?" purchases. Most worked out, but a few still haunt me! Love your basket!

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

There have been a number of "what was I thinking?" purchases. Most worked out, but a few still haunt me! Love your basket!

Woodside Park said...

Stacy - That basket was meant for the bedroom!! Really love it there. Fortunately for me, I have a shop where I can sell furniture that doesn't quite work :-)
Have a great weekend, Loi

Katherines Corner said...

I do that sometimes too, my hubby doesn't like it, giggle. xo

Becca Bertotti said...

Love it, Stacy! That truly is a wonderful basket ... love it in your bedroom, too! And, I love your living room without the rug for awhile, as well ... your floors are gorgeous!

srpprcrftr said...

Sounds like I'm not alone by your other comments. I'm a very spontaneous, impulsive person and have learned to go with that feeling that it's meant to be. I might not know what I'll do with something but then I'll change things in a room and be so glad I have that item. Usually those kinds of things can be used in any number of rooms and purposes. I've passed on a few things (due to no money) and have regretted it. But alas and alack, that's life so wasn't meant to be I guess.

Angela said...

I love it next to the bed! It adds another texture to the space.
Beautiful!
~Angela

Blog Widget by LinkWithin