Monday, November 8, 2010

Your Basement Bookcase and Bench Questions Answered


Better Homes and Gardens / Photographer – John Bessler 
Stylist - Donna Talley, Regional Editor and Producer for Meredith Publications


As part of our basement remodel, our contractor constructed this pretty bookcase (above) and bench (below). It was originally shown in the July 2009 edition of Better Homes and Gardens and has since been republished in several BH&G publications including 100 Decorating Ideas – Big Style for Small Rooms, Remodel, and 100 Ideas – Real Rooms.

100 Decorating Ideas Big Style for Small Rooms / Photographer – John Bessler
Stylist - Donna Talley, Regional Editor and Producer for Meredith Publications


It has now reappeared in the January 2011 edition of BH&G’s Remodel.


Better Homes and Gardens Remodel / Photographer – John Bessler
Stylist - Donna Talley, Regional Editor and Producer for Meredith Publications

As a result, I have received many emails and phone calls asking for additional information. Many of you asked if we built it ourselves and what are the overall dimensions of the entire unit. I am very flattered by all the interest and am so happy to help.

No, we did not build the bookcase and bench. We worked closely with our contractor to design something which would fit the space visually, add storage and display areas, and make the basement entrance more functional. Needless to say, we are thrilled with how it turned out.

As far as the measurements are concerned, much of what we did was dictated by the height of the adjoining wall. You will notice from the pictures this built-in unit is attached to a half wall with windows. The length was determined by the placement of the columns. Here are the dimensions we used:

100 Decorating Ideas Real Rooms / Photographer – John Bessler
Stylist - Donna Talley, Regional Editor and Producer for Meredith Publications


100 Decorating Ideas Big Style for Small Rooms / Photographer – John Bessler
Stylist - Donna Talley, Regional Editor and Producer for Meredith Publications 


If you have any other questions please let me know. Also, if you have used these pictures as inspiration for your own project I would love to see photos and hear from you!



6 comments:

Katherine @ Grass Stains said...

So beautiful! I remember that it's been featured before, and with good reason! I'd love to recreate it in my home if I can find the space. :)

Karena said...

It is so fabulous!! I love the design and the lightness of it!

Come read a great interview, then enter my latest giveaway!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Congrats on your room being featured again. Obviously I am not the only one that loves your bookcase and bench.
Hugs, Sherry

michelle said...

That is so great that it came back around! It is just beautiful and so fresh and relaxing!! Thanks for the info!!

Karen said...

I can see why BHG keeps reusing the images---the bookcase and bench look wonderful and so practical too.
Congratulations!
karen

Unknown said...

I have this page torn our of every magazine it has been in. Obviously, I loved it because I tore it out each time, not remembering that I already had it until I went to file them away. We hope to one day have a basement, and this is what I dream it looking like. No dark, musty cave for me!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin