Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fantastic Furniture Find!

Long time followers of RDH know that when it comes to bargains and freebies I have been very fortunate. Much of my house is furnished with roadside finds, hand-me-downs and thrift store purchases. Needless to say, my house definitely has a “collected over time” look. My luck continued last weekend when I came across this buffet / sideboard at my local Salvation Army thrift store.


I looked it over quickly but did not even ask the price the first time I saw it. When I called back the next day, I was told the buffet was part of a set and could not be purchased separately. If I wanted the buffet I would need to also buy the table and six chairs which had been donated at the same time. My other option was to pay for the set and then donate what I did not want back to the store.


At first I was not sure about the table and chairs. After some thought, however, I realized keeping all the pieces was a good thing. You see my dining room craigslist table only came with four chairs. I also am partial to having a mix of chairs rather than a completely matched set. The table will most likely find a home in my basement and be used for crafts and playing games. So yes, I kept everything!


From the pictures above, you can see I took advantage of the warmer than normal weather to already begin the refinishing process. The sideboard and table legs will be painted and glazed. The chairs and table top will be sanded and varnished. I will be posting the after pictures soon.

So how much did I spend? I spent a total of $150 for everything – less than $20 per piece! I was thrilled to say the least. Other than the freebies on the side of the road, I think this may have been my best furniture find ever.

Do you have a favorite furniture bargain story? I would love to hear it!

14 comments:

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

That was a fabulous deal! I would have loved those chairs. I'm on the look out for some. The buffet is so pretty. Can't wait to see it painted!

Rachael West said...

Wow that is a great find I can't wait to see the after photos!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

What a great deal, Stacey! I like the lines of those chairs, too. It's always good to have some extra chairs around. I have 5 {had 6} that I got for free some time ago and have repainted and recovered the seats on. They are in various areas of my house and come in handy for parties and holidays, but meanwhile serve a purpose in the rooms they are in.

la maison LaFortune said...

I love everything you got-and the price was pretty sweet too! I have so many "finds" that I absolutely love still! A child's rolltop desk and swivel chair out of the trash. A beautiful settee at a yard sale -
http://lamaisonlafortune.blogspot.com/2010/05/spectacular-settee.html
,Tables for my daughter's 1st apartment-trash. http://lamaisonlafortune.blogspot.com/2010/05/1st-apartment.html
Beautiful marble lamp-$5 yardsale find! http://lamaisonlafortune.blogspot.com/2010/10/yard-sale-love.html
Great finds are what keeps the world going round!

Twisted Sister said...

That is an amazing find at an amazing price! I can't wait to see the after photos!

Paula@SweetPea said...

You got an incredible deal. I just know that you'll turn this set into something really wonderful.

Highland Monkey's said...

wow what a bargain. Cant wait to see the finished results

Janie said...

Great deal! Chairs are expensive and the table is very nice, the buffet is great!

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

Can't wait to see what you do!
-Trish

Trish @TheOldPostRoad said...

Can't wait to see what you do!
-Trish

Decor To Adore said...

Wow! What a great find. That buffet is just divine!

SHERRY HART said...

Geez..what a find! I love the style of the whole set.

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Fantastic!!!
I got my dr table and 7 chairs (I only saved 5) from a thrift store for $45!!!! We stained the table and I painted and recovered the chairs. LOVE LOVE LOVE them.

CarolAnne - camdesign said...

I must admit I was thinking you were going to say you paid at least 900.00 or more for the whole set... I think you win the score of the year, lucky you, enjoy!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin