Monday, October 18, 2010

Two Simple Painting Tips

The bargain drapery hardware for my living room redo has been painted, glazed and installed using my normal painting/glazing process. It was definitely worth the time and effort considering all the money I saved.


As you might expect, painting the brackets and finials was very straight forward – put them in a box and spray away! Covering the rods and rings, however, was a different matter. I tend to be a little impatient when it comes to painting and wanted to get this project finished in the least amount of time possible.

The problem was figuring out how to paint the rods - without laying them down or leaning them against something – so that all sides could be covered at once. With the rings, it was the same sort of dilemma. Luckily Mr. RDH came to the rescue.

How clever is are these two ideas?

For the rods he used two saw horses and some nails.




By suspending the rods on the nails (which were easily inserted into the ends of the poles), I was able to paint one side of the rod and then simply role it over to paint the other side. In one fell swoop, the entire rod was painted!

For the rings, the saw horses were again put to good use. Using some twine we tied one end to the saw horse and threaded on the first ring.


Once in place, we tied a knot to keep the ring from sliding. We continued threading and knotting and then tied the other end of the twine to the second saw horse. As you can see, for this project we needed three rows.


Two simple ideas that cut my painting time in half and made my life easier!

Next up is how to install drapery hardware and my two curtain fabric choices.

Linking to Power of Paint party

9 comments:

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Brilliant ideas! Your rods, rings, and brackets look beautiful!

michelle said...

Ah! You are so clever!! They turned our great!

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Genius!!! And it looks GREAT!

Lou Cinda :)

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Now that's thinking outside the box. Brilliant!

Andrea said...

looking beautiful, can't wait to see your drapery panels!

Paula@SweetPea said...

That is such a clever idea! think of all of the time you saved by this trick!

Karena said...

Well how brilliant is that, it would take me days to figue that out!! Bravo!

I have a new Giveaway from Metis Linens, do come and enter!!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Karen said...

That is great info. I too am a little impatient when it comes to painting---I'm happy to have some solid tips on how to do it right and reasonably quickly. Thank you.
Karen @ Garden, Home and Party

Melissa @ It's Fancy Schmancy said...

Great idea! I am impatient with paint too. I love how they turned out!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin