Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Holiday Floral Photo Shoot – Behind the Scenes

Many people are curious to know what it is really like to be a part of a magazine photo shoot.  So today I would like to share my experience from the holiday floral photo shoot which took place at my house this past summer.


Better Homes and Gardens December 2011 / By: Amy Panos / Producer: Ariella Chezar
Photographer: Kate Mathis / Stylist: Ed Gallagher

I have been lucky to be a part of a few magazine photo shoots and each time I learn something new.  The thing which consistently amazes me most, however, is the amount of planning, work and attention to detail which goes into setting up just one picture.  It takes an entire team of professionals to produce just the right look for a story.


The floral photo shoot took place over the course of three days.  The stylist and photographer, along with their assistants, producer, and floral artist Ariella Chezar spent the better part of the first day unloading all their equipment, supplies, props, and flowers as well as preparing the spaces where photos would be taken. 


My mudroom and laundry room were filled with flowers, the garage became a props and supplies staging area, and the kitchen served as command central as well as where most of the flower arranging took place.  Lots of stuff and people everywhere!


The first day included lots of furniture moving and rearranging - basic set up for the upcoming two days of shooting.  The photographer looked at the lighting in the house to determine what time during the day the light would be best in each room and the floral artist created several of the floral arrangements based on what rooms would be used during the first day of shooting.


Better Homes and Gardens December 2011 / By:Amy Panos / Producer:Ariella Chezar
Photographer:Kate Mathis / Stylist:Ed Gallagher

The second and third days were when the picture taking took place.  The team arrived early and worked the entire day.  Since this shoot was not about my house or family, my kids and I did our best to just stay in the background and out of everyone’s way.  They graciously allowed me to watch (whenever I had the chance)  as they worked their magic.  Each picture appearing in the magazine and online was the result of a coordinated effort between everyone involved. The flowers, props, and lighting were all arranged and rearranged multiple times until everyone was pleased with how the picture looked – a very time consuming process.  After a picture was completed, rooms were cleaned up, put back together, and it was on to the next photo.

One of the funnier moments during the photo shoot occurred when I returned home to find two huge panels of MDF (medium density fiberboard) - painted red - in the garage.  My husband and I joked that it would be ironic if they ended up using them in our living room since we had changed the paint color from red to white.  Sure enough, they did use the panels in our “used to be red room” shown in the photo below.
Better Homes and Gardens December 2011 / By:Amy Panos / Producer:Ariella Chezar
Photographer:Kate Mathis / Stylist:Ed Gallagher

When the photo shoot was complete, everyone pitched in to return my home back to the way it was when they arrived.   They left almost all the flowers and greenery – which was a super nice surprise for me.  Since many of the flowers had been stored in various pots and vases which did not belong to me, I searched through my cabinets to pull out containers to use for all the remaining flowers.  Ariella was so nice in that instead of just putting the flowers in the vases, she spent time arranging them all into beautiful bouquets like the one shown below.

I have to say it truly was a privilege for me to host this photo shoot.  I had a wonderful time meeting the entire staff who put together this fabulous story.   It was a great experience – one which I would love to do again!

14 comments:

Low Tide High Style said...

It really is amazing to watch stylists and photographers at work isn't it?! I just love seeing the shots when they appear in a magazine, it is the fruition of a lot of hard work. Your beautiful home was the perfect choice for their wonderful shoot!

Kat :)

Andrea said...

All the pictures look beautiful, and how lucky that you got to keep the flowers! I am having a baby girl in March, and struggling with names, but Ariella is such a pretty name-I'll have to put it on my list of options =)

Morgan said...

How cool! I enjoyed reading about your experience behind the scenes. That must have been so fun to see these artists working in your very home. =)

{darlene} @ fieldstonehill said...

another great shoot! It looks SO gorgeous, stacy!
- {darlene}

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

It sounds like you had a good experience, Stacy! Not that I know anything about them that it would be a bad experience. Really beautiful pictures.

Babs said...

Thanks for sharing the behind the scenes of the photos shoot. The floral arrangements are gorgeous and the MDF story is a hoot. I'm visiting from Nina's Nest...saw your blog on her side bar.
Babs

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

What an absolute treat it would be, to have a photo shoot done for a major magazine, in your home!

By the way, did you sew the slip covers for your skirted chairs in the living room? Love them!

Cynthia said...

I loved seeing it in the magazine! Everything looked great!

I had a room in a magazine a few years ago (craft room) and the magazine folks were great but I felt like a big 'ole fake because seeing the perfect room lead a lot of women to think I really lived like that. Nobody lives like that! Too much pressure for me after the fact feeling like I was 'supposed' to keep up that appearance.

Have you had any after-the-fact anxieties? I'm probably just weird to have felt that way.

Becca Bertotti said...

What fun to get a sneak peek at behind the scenes. Your home is fabulous ... loved seeing it featured. Well deserved!

The enchanted home said...

Wow the pics are amazing!!!! How fun to get a peek inside the makings of all those beautiful pictures, that alwats look so effortless...I know its not with out a lot of hard work and many discerning eyes.
Love it...congrats!

SLR said...

really interesting reading about all the behind the scenes action of the photo shoot...especially the red panels that were used...too funny! thanks for sharing your experience :)

for the love of a house said...

Love the post! Where in the world did they find poinsettias in the summer?!! So many beautiful flowers. That's too funny about the red wall coming back;)

Merry Christmas Stacy!
joan

p.s. thank you so much for leaving your "calling card!"

A Vintage Vine said...

Wow, everything looks perfect! Thanks for sharing the details, funny they used the panels painted red, I really like it that way!

Mrs. Limestone said...

Those flower arrangements are gorgeous! I am going to have to start paying more attention to the flower styling in BHG.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin