Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bedroom Makeover Update and a Clever Way to Dress up a Bulletin Board

A few weeks back I mentioned my daughter’s bedroom had been scouted for a Better Homes and Gardens photo shoot. Sadly, her room was not chosen.

The good news, however, is now I am free to share pictures of the room and all the ideas I used to transform her space from a little girl’s bedroom into something a bit more grown-up. So over the next few weeks I will be highlighting various parts of her room and showing how to make some of the projects I used in the redo.

To give a frame of reference for this and upcoming posts, as well as the final room reveal, here is where I began. The color palette inspiration came from this beautiful linen fabric from Calico Corners.
Although I fell in love with this fabric the minute I saw it, my daughter needed a little convincing. Previously, her room had been green and blue – a Laura Ashley bedding ensemble left over from my college days over twenty years ago. Now, she wanted pink, pink and more pink. (I will be showing before pictures in a future post). After much discussion (and prodding) she gave me the OK and the room redo began.

Project #1 - Bulletin Board Makeover
This bulletin board was purchased from Ballard Designs many years ago. The off-white color no longer worked with the new color scheme and I really wanted to do something “different.” I started by painting the frame white and spraying with a semi-gloss varnish. It looked better but the board still needed some color.

My solution – add pink ribbon secured with silver push pins around the outside edge of the board.
Simply cut four pieces of ribbon approximately 1 ½ inches longer than the length of each side. Fold and press under (with iron) approximately ¾” of each unfinished edge. Place on bulletin board and secure with push pins in each corner.
Continue adding push pins – spacing evenly – around the edge.
So simple and very cute! Here is a close up (below) of the bulletin board hanging in her room. The second picture gives a wider view of the space and a bigger hint of what is to come!

Sources:
White shelf below the bulletin board – Target
Three vintage milk glass vases – Thrift store purchases
Upholstered and slip covered cubesTarget
Pink throw – Home Goods
Monogram pillow – available in my Etsy Shop
Chalkboard arrow – Favors by Lisa (from a giveaway I won)

In case you missed it, here are some previous posts highlighting other projects in my daughter’s bedroom redo:
Marble top night stand
Ceiling embellishment

Linking up to some of these parties

36 comments:

Lorie said...

Oh! Very cute! I love the little arrow too!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Oh well, their loss is our gain, Stacey! Great update to the bulletin board. Love the idea of just dressing it up a bit with ribbon. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the room. I'm already loving that monogram pillow!

Two Shades of Pink said...

These colors are so amazing. They seem to pop in the room and soothe all at the same time. And I love the bulletin board. I have one I am redoing in the works at the moment so I am loving the inspiration.

Unknown said...

Love the understated pop of color adding the pink ribbon made to the bulletin board.

So cute!

Anne said...

Love the bulletin board. The simple projects with big results are my favorite. I think so many bloggers (myself included) like to overthink and overdo our little projects.

As for the curtain fabric ... gorgeous! I've seen that online at CC, but never closely looked at the scale of the print. I never would have thought it was so oversized. It's fantastic!

Totally surprised BHG didn't select you again ... you're like the company's go-to gal at this point! :) I had a scout contact me about my kitchen for one of BHG's budget kitchen makeover publications, but nothing came of it. I was thrilled to even be considered, though.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

I love the fabric you used for the drapes. I hope your daughter loves it now. The ribbon around the bulletin board really dresses it up. I am looking forward to seeing the completed room.

Rie said...

Love that fabric! And the bulletin board is so sweet.

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

Thanks for linking to the party! Ribbon is such a great way to dress things up and I love how you used it here. The flowers in the vases is perfect!

Cathy~Mille Fleur said...

Oooohhh...love the way you dressed up the board...what a great idea...and the little shelf underneath is darling! I think I my be on the hunt at Target for one;)!

Love it all!

Enjoy!
Cathy

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

I am looking forward to the whole bedroom reveal! I just love the colors you are using. I have never been able to use pink in my home with 3 boys but when I helped with my mom's office space we used pink and green. I loved been able to finally use it.

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

What a cute way to change the bulletin board. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the room - it looks so pretty, what I've seen so far.

Anonymous said...

What a cute bulletin board! Love the way it turned out. I think BHG made a mistake in not choosing you - from what I can see so far, the room is adorable.

Kacey said...

What a clever idea to add ribbon trim to the bulletin board. It adds just the right punch of color! Can't wait to see what else you did...

Rockin Momma said...

Hello! I'm your new follower through Penny Pinching Party! Great site! Visit me at http://www.rockindeals4you.com/?p=2690 and sign up for my giveaway!

The Southern Door said...

PRECIOUS! I can't wait to see the full room!

Living It At Home said...

I can see how you were inspired by those curtains. They are so pretty. You always feature such creative projects. Thank you!

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

I'm loving it! I look forward to seeing just what else you're up to!

Natalie Meester said...

that fabric is to die for! Love it and I love the little tacks you added to the bulletin board. It just sets it off.

great job and I can't wait to see more!

Natalie

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love that fabric - please show more!!!

seven thirty three said...

Now I'm eager to see more! Make sure to come link up the rest at Sugar & Spice too. ;)

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

Cannot wait to see the final result!!! Looks so awesome!! Thanks for linking up!!!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is such a fun dress-up, I love it! Thanks so much for sharing, I'll be linking.

The Southern Door said...

Sorry to comment you again, but I can't stop exploring your site! I am now a follower and hope you don't mind but added a button!

Room to Inspire said...

What a super cute bulletin board - I am sure she just loves it. Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired today!

Chelsea

Jill said...

Oh I love that little cork board, too cute!

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

Cute board and I love all the little pick touches in the room! :)

Connie said...

Love the idea of the push pins to hold the ribbon around the edge. Thanks for sharing, it turned out great.

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

Such a simple but pretty idea! Im looking forward to seeing more of the room!

Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I've been needing inspiration for my bulletin board. I'm glad I found it!

Unknown said...

Oh her room looks like it's beautiful! I can't wait to see more!
Thanks for linking up!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

What a sweet little area you've created! It's like a birthday party for they eyes. :) Lovely! I mean, you can't possibly even remove one element. It must be as is!

Thanks for linking it up to SNS!
FJ Donna

Holly Lefevre said...

I am in love with that fabric too! I love the detail of the push pins on the bulletin board.

Mélanie A. said...

The bulletin board is So cute . Love the curtains

Unknown said...

Just LOVING this room! xx

malia said...

hi from tatertots + jello-- already follow u-- love the revamped bb!

Country Girl in the City said...

Hi, love the bulletin board. I will have to do this to the ones I have hanging in the kitchen area. It will look so much nicer!!

Thanks!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin