Saturday, July 23, 2011
Yes, the following post is a bit out of the ordinary for RDH – no home ideas here - but this project is so cute and simple I just had to share!
While on vacation, I spied a friend of my mother wearing a pair of sandals she had created using water balloons and inexpensive flip flops. My daughter immediately wanted a pair so off to the Dollar Store (balloons) and CVS (sandals) we went.
As you can see from the picture above, the sandals we purchased had beads along the straps, so the first step was to remove them. Once the beads were cut-off, we simply tied the balloons – one at a time – around the straps until they were completely covered.
- The balloons work better if they are stretched slightly before tying.
- Once you tie the balloon on the strap pull it tight so the balloons appear fluffy.
- Alternate directions of the balloons as you tie so that you don’t end up with all tops on one side and ends on the other.
- Push the balloons close together as you work so that they are nice and tight.
- Although this is a simple project, younger kids might have a hard time tying and pulling the balloons tight.
Hope you enjoyed this simple project. My daughter has been wearing these sandals non-stop and lots of people have asked her where she bought them!