Friday, April 18, 2014

Inside Our new House

I have to admit I had a hard time deciding how to go about sharing the inside of our new house.  It has been non-stop work since we moved in nine months ago (we have done a majority of work ourselves) yet we still have years of work ahead.  At times I have felt overwhelmed with all that needs to be done, but looking back at where we started makes me realize just how much we have accomplished.

So instead of an entire post dedicated to “non-pretty” before pictures, I decided I would share some before and in-progress pictures (since nothing is ever truly finished!) of the rooms we have worked on to date.  We are lucky in that we were able to use most of the furniture and curtains from our previous house in this house.  Some things just did not work and have been placed in the yard sale pile and others ended up in different rooms, but overall I am pleased with how these rooms are coming along.

The Dining Room Before


The Dining Room Today



We painted the walls BM White Dove and the built-in china cabinet was painted with Annie Sloan chalk paint.  Several of the sconces had to be relocated to different places on the walls to accommodate our furniture and we also switched out the light fixture.  At some point I would like to add crown molding and have glass put in the panels of the top doors of the china cabinet.

The Back Staircase Before

The Back Staircase In Progress

The Back Staircase Today


We removed the carpeting and did the best we could to stain the steps to blend in with the original finish.  The spindles, risers and trim were painted with a white semi-gloss paint and the walls were painted BM White Dove.  A gallery wall of mirrors was also started – hopefully one day the entire wall will be filled with mirrors from floor to ceiling.

The Breezeway Before

The Breezeway Today

The wallpaper border was removed and the walls were painted BM White Dove.  The biggest change was the floor.  We replaced the ceramic tile with slate.  The slate continues into the rec room (shown below) as well as a bathroom, the hallway leading to the kitchen and the laundry room.  These spaces were a mix of two different types of tile, linoleum and carpet.  Changing them to all one material made a huge difference in the flow of the rooms.

The Rec Room Before


The Rec Room Today



As I mentioned above, this room received a new slate floor in place of the mix of carpet and tile.  We removed the wallpaper border and painted the walls BM White Dove.  Hollow stained closet doors and a bathroom door were also replaced with white painted panel doors and new unlacquered brass hardware.

So there you have a few of the rooms we have been working on – more to come I promise!  There is still much to be done even in all of the above spaces as we still need to paint all the moldings and baseboards, replace the windows and install the quarter round in the rooms with the slate.  Then of course there is also the issue of the textured ceilings – ugh!
Finally as a side note, I am curious to hear from any of you who have moved to know at what point your “new house” became just “your house.”  We have been here for nine months (yes we are still unpacking and organizing!) and I still am calling this our new house.
Have a great weekend and a blessed Easter!



12 comments:

Phyllis Trevor Higgerson, Henhurst Interiors said...

Nice work, Stacy! I love what you've done in the dining room and the stair gallery is fabulous.
All best,
Phyllis

Phyllis said...

We downsized several years ago to a small open plan from a 2 story colonial. It took me about 6 months before I felt comfortable painting and adding my "touch". I felt that the house had to give me permission. Sounds silly but I think we have to allow the rooms to talk to us and tell us what looks best. Your home is lovely. Enjoy the decorating journey.

Michelle said...

Love all your updates, and pinned your back stairs--inspiring me to do something with mine! Oh, and we have been here for 7 months and this house is still new to us!

Loi Thai, Tone on Tone said...

Beautiful, Stacy!!! You all have done so much and the house looks amazing! The gallery wall of mirrors is fabulous. Btw, white dove is one of my favorites. Congrats! xo Loi

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

You've been very busy, Stacy! I love how your dining room turned out. Your mirror wall going up the stairs looks fantastic ~ I love that, too.

Pine Tree Home said...

I love White Dove and am thinking of painting my TV room all the same color because it has tall ceilings. Your home is very beautiful and I love the changes you have shared.

Twinkle Terrior said...

Hi Stacy ! You've done a GREAT job !! We recently moved from a house I just finished.......after 7 years, then hubby decided he wanted more land (ARGH). We bought a fixer-upper so we have a long way to go too! Don't feel alone....LOL Have a wonderful Easter! PS- all you need for "home" (which I see you have) is family and ...a fur baby on the sofa! :) ox

Becca Ross said...

You are my decorating idol! I love those mirrors!

Two things helped my new house feel like home- everything was put away enough that I felt I could take a nap, and when the kitchen had a mini makeover.

Becca

Katy Byrne said...

Looks great! Very pretty

www.designsbykaty.com

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Beautifully done Stacy...can't wait to see more!!

Bmore Bungalow said...

Looks fantastic Stacy. I especially like the dining room.

Barbara Bussey {The Treasured Home} said...

Hi Stacy,
I just came across your post from April! What a transformation in your dining room! Your new home is gorgeous. You must lie in the east/south, to have all that land. We're not usually so fortunate her in California. Anyway, can you tell me where you found the wonderful light fixture in your dining room? I've been looking!
Thanks,
Barbara

Blog Widget by LinkWithin